Wednesday, January 21, 2009



More Caballito.
 This is a photo of the subway train yard I was talking about in my post below. The gates were open yesterday so I had a good view in. I pass it whenever I walk down Emilio Mitre from my apartment to Parque Chacabuco. Subway line A, which runs thru my neighborhood along Avenida Rivadavia to downtown has the coolest subway cars. They must be over 50 years old and the interior is constructed of polished wood ... doors, walls, benches and all. 

You can see the benches move side to side and hear the wood creak as the train ambles along the tracks. It feels like it's being held together with a bunch of screws and glue. The doors slide open to both sides, but unlike BART, you have to push the handle to manually open and close them. People can be cavalier about closing them. The other day when we were coming back from Once half of the doors on the car we were in were wide open and you could watch (or fall) right out. The car was mostly empty so there was little danger of that happening, but it struck me as odd that the city would run a subway with doors that are left wide open. I think the negligence laws here are probably a little more lax. This kid saw me taking a foto of the train and wanted me to take his picture.

No comments: